成長與更新 Ways to Forming Disciples
"Forming Christ's followers to transform the world" is not just a motto. What can we do to carry out the mission statement of VCBC in 2007? Below are my suggestions:
1. God: He alone transforms people! Therefore, followers of Jesus need to get closer and closer to God through prayers and worship, and be molded by Him.
2. Bible: More often than not, God transforms people through His Word. Followers of Jesus must strive hard to learn the truth and to live according to the Bible.
3. Circumstances: God engineers our daily circumstances to allow us to be transformed, to live out the truth and to be tested spiritually; therefore, followers of Jesus have to discern and heed the Spirit's leading in our daily living.
4. Discipline: Spiritual discipline (e.g. daily devotion) is an important way to prepare us to receive God's transforming grace; therefore, followers of Jesus must make an effort to devote themselves to spiritual growth.
5. Time: Spiritual growth is a process; therefore, followers of Jesus must be patient in investing enough time to achieve it.
6. Christian friends: God always use spiritual mentors, friends, and community to transform one's lives; therefore, followers of Jesus must seek to belong to a Christian community in order to become accountable to each other.
7. Service: Serving God through Christian ministries is one way to experience God; therefore, followers of Jesus have to serve with a heart to experience Him and to pursue spiritual growth.
8. Healing: Sometimes, our spiritual growth might be hindered by past hurts and sin; therefore, followers of Jesus must pray to free ourselves spiritually from the continual influence of our past sin through the healing of the Holy Spirit.
9. Ordinances: Often baptism and the Lord's Supper can also be means of grace for our spiritual growth; therefore, followers of Jesus should wholeheartedly participate in these ordinances.
10. Overcoming sin: The effort to overcoming sin is important for us to grow spiritually; therefore, followers of Jesus must deliberately deal with all obvious sins in our lives.
11. Character building: To abide in the Spirit and to work out God's will in us is also an important step in our spiritual growth; therefore, followers of Jesus must deliberately build up our characters according to God's guidance.
12. Surprise: God may choose to transform our lives in a surprising way and out of the above suggested ways; therefore, followers of Jesus must always expect surprises and open to God in His transforming works.
I sincerely hope that brothers and sisters will begin to explore these suggestions in personal way as well as in group settings to experience further spiritual growth.